Subject: Cataloging microform masters

Cataloging microform masters

From: Barbara Lilley <ny0007>
Date: Tuesday, August 30, 1994
I am chair of a ALA, PARS Task Force that is looking at the use and
language in the MARC 583 field.  We are interested in finding out how
people of keeping track of the storage location of master negatives.
Specifically we are interested if the following questions.

1.  Where are you storing the storage location of your master negatives?
    In a bibliographic utility, in your own online catalog, a separate
    database in your department, are you keeping the little slips of
    paper NUS sends back and filing them, any other method?

2.  If you are using a bibliographic utility or your own catalog what
    field are you using?  Have you developed a standard terminology?

3.  Who has access to this information, staff only or are does the
    public have access?

4.  How the method you use has been working, are you happy with it?  Any
    suggestions for improvement?

Thank you for your response. You may send responses directly to me at
ny0007 [at] mail__nyser__net or by snail mail at

    New York State Library
    Library Development
    10C47 Cultural Education Center
    Albany, NY 12230

Barbara Lilley

                Distributed: Thursday, September 1, 1994