Subject: Flattening lined maps

Flattening lined maps

From: Karen Motylewski <nedcc>
Date: Thursday, August 18, 1994
cloth, NEDCC has successfully done this, but it doesn't always work and
is not always easy.  We usually relax the map with a fine water mist
applied to both sides of the map with a Japanese dahlia sprayer.  A
humidification chamber might work, also, but would be slow.  Dry between
blotters under heavy weight.  Repeat the process as often as necessary.
Do not humidify a map if water soluble media are present or if it is
varnished; the varnish might "bloom" (turn cloudy).  I think it's OK to
leave cloth  backings in place but check that the adhesive holding the
backing has not darkened.  If it has, the backing should be taken off so
that the adhesive can be removed from the map.

Don't overwet the map because the cloth could shrink.  Flattening a
cloth lined map can often be more difficult than removing the cloth
first, then flattening it.  Still there are instances when the cloth is
part of the original presentation and should be retained.  As will all
conservation matters, each case has different considerations.

Mary Todd Glaser
Director of Paper Conservation
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square