Subject: Fume hoods

Fume hoods

From: Normandy Helmer <nhelmer>
Date: Monday, August 15, 1994
We have a new conservation lab facility for which I am trying to procure
a fume hood.  I did get the architects to leave the space and build in
the ductwork, but I don't think the blower has been installed.  The idea
is to use the money that we have now (but surely won't in the future) to
equip a lab that will grow with our department and, I hope, accommodate
the work of a conservator some day.  I am working with the campus
architect who equips science labs, but neither of us know what options
are required or desirable for library preservation work.  It looks as if
I'll be able to get a bargain on a hood displaced from one of the
science labs on campus, but I would like to know what features are worth
getting and what is "gravy."

If you could buy a fume hood, what would you want in it?  Air?
Compressed gases?  Water?  What kind of countertop is preferred?  Should
we plan for solvents?  Acids?  Flammables?  Corrosives?  Do we need
electricity available in the cabinets to run appliances?  We have space
for an 8-footer--what's a good size?  How deep?  Do we need cup sinks?
What kind of toxicity will I need to discuss with campus Environmental
Health & Safety?  What cabinets are useful?  (One of the used ones has
an built-in drying oven and a chem cabinet; I assume it's better to have
chem safes a slight distance from the hood to minimize fire hazard.)
What specific processes would you envision would be appropriate?

If you have answers to these questions or any other considerations,
please reply directly to me and I will summarize for the list.  [Rest
assured, procurement of a fume hood will not be enough to make us leap
into highly technical work--we won't do anything unless we've been
trained by a pro.]  Thanks,

Normandy Helmer
Head, Preservation & Binding Dept.
University of Oregon Library