Subject: New version of LC's rare book box manual

New version of LC's rare book box manual

From: Robert J. Milevski <milevski>
Date: Thursday, July 28, 1994
While cataloging a copy of the revised edition of "Boxes for the
Protection of Rare Books: Their Design and Construction" for our in-lab
reference collection, I noticed the usual claimer on the verso of the
title page about the paper in the publication conforming to ANSI Z
39.48--1984.  Well, for no apparent reason that I can recall, I whipped
out my Abbey pH Pen and tested the paper in several parts of the
publication.  I found out that the paper is acidic.  This goes to show
you that notices don't make a bit of difference, that quality assurance
isn't assured when the person assigned with performing the assuring is
deadbeat or overworked/overextended, and that, generally, you can't get
there from here.  By the way, the title of the new edition is changed
slightly.  The word rare is removed.  The title is now "Boxes for the
Protection of Books: Their Design and Construction".

Robert J. Milevski
Princeton University Libraries

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 16, 1994