Subject: Archival requirements for preparing dissertations

Archival requirements for preparing dissertations

From: Norma Gahl <ngahl>
Date: Friday, August 12, 1994
As part of an internship at the Harvard University Archives, I am
researching current guidelines and practices for preparing doctoral
dissertations for archival purposes.  I am looking specifically at the
following areas:

    1.  Binding

    2.  Paper--8-1/2 x 11  and 11 x 17.  Recommended papers.  Suppliers.

    3.  Photographs--Are color prints being accepted?  Recommended
        printing processes.

    4.  Color copiers--Are color copies being accepted?  Recommended
        product.

    5.  Printing processes
        a.  Inkjet
        b.  Laser
        c.  Dye Sublimation

    6.  Mounting adhesives

    7.  Electronic media--video, audio, hypermedia, CD-ROM--are these
        being accepted?

I would appreciate receiving any guidelines your institution uses or any
recommendations on the most accepted and latest technologies used for
producing doctoral thesis. Thank you,

    **** Moderator's comments:   One obvious place to start is:

        Preparation of archival copies of theses and dissertations /
            Jane Boyd and Don Etherington (Physical Quality of Library
            Materials Committee, Resources and Technical Services
            Division, American Library Association). Chicago : American
            Library Association, 1986. v, 15 p. : ill. ; 23 cm. ISBN
            0-8389-0449-1 (pbk.) : $3.50 (est.)

Norma Gahl

                  Distributed: Sunday, August 14, 1994