Subject: Software for creating training materials

Software for creating training materials

From: Lisa Fox <lfox>
Date: Wednesday, August 10, 1994
This question will probably sound pretty ignorant, since it's on a topic
I'm just beginning to think about.

I am in the very first stages of investigating the possibility of
developing a computer-based training module on recovery of wet
library/archival materials.  I am envisioning something that could be
distributed on disk, would have textual information and perhaps visuals
also, would provide some information/training and have the ability to
check and correct the trainees' responses.  I expect this means I am
looking for some kind of artificial intelligence or "expert system"
software, but there may be other sorts I haven't thought of.  My
questions are these:

    1.  If others have worked on related projects (or investigated the
        possibility and dropped it like a potato), I'd like to know who
        you are and what kind of area you were/are working on.

    2.  What software is available to support this kind of package? I
        need to find one for which I can get a license (without
        *massive* expense, I hope, though I'm sure it will be into the
        four-figure range) to distribute the software and the training
        module on a single disk, as ARL has done for gathering its
        preservation statistics.

Lisa L. Fox
840 Rosedale Avenue
Atlanta, GA  30312-3626