Subject: White Matt Window Cover

White Matt Window Cover

From: John Burke <darmabum>
Date: Tuesday, July 26, 1994
I've never heard of White Matt window covering, but the description
sounds like most of the common window filtering foils available.  There
are several things to keep in mind when considering installation of
these kind of filters:

    1.  A high degree of UV protection is usually standard, with most
        films varying from 95%-99%.  I would choose the higher
        efficiency films.  The UV filter usually has little or no effect
        on appearance.  Of course, the use of a UV filter does not
        eliminate photodegradation.

    2.  The degree of infrared reflection can vary widely, with the more
        heat reflective films also having a more mirrored appearance.
        This can be objectionable in certain settings, (i.e. a historic
        house). I would choose the highest amount of reflection that was
        aesthetically possible.

    3.  The degree of light transmission also varies, as does the color
        of the films.  The darker films obviously transmit less light,
        but colored films can impart a color to the light that may be
        unacceptable in certain situations (like color matching).  I
        would choose a neutral density film, as dark as may be
        appropriate, but colored gray.

    4.  The adhesive that will hold the film to the glass can be either
        pressure sensitive or water activated.  The pressure sensitive
        films may discolor and delaminate, or could be difficult to
        remove.  The water activated films are usually clearer and
        easier to apply.

    5.  Most of the available films are polyester based, and have
        excellent clarity, scratch and tear resistance.  Some films are
        coated to make them less abrasion resistant.  The thicker films
        are used to impart anti-shatter properties to the glass.

                  Distributed: Monday, August 1, 1994