Subject: Antler at archaeological dig

Antler at archaeological dig

From: Connie E. Fairchild <mscef>
Date: Monday, July 25, 1994
Advice is requested regarding antler (and some bone tools) found at a
significant dig.  We would like to know how to handle and preserve the
specimens so that they may be preserved and yet used for further study
in the future.  They may be used for casting, so advice on chemicals and
treatment should consider the need to retain intricate details.

This site is river bottoms and the very wet upper levels makes the
antler appear sound upon first impression.  Any method tried regarding
removal has caused cracks and damage, not wanting this--I have
volunteered to pass along any information or suggestions to the
Archaeologists at the dig.

Connie Fairchild

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 26, 1994