Subject: Shelving oversized books

Shelving oversized books

From: Claudia Stall <cstall>
Date: Tuesday, July 19, 1994
Caroline Gilderson-Duwe <c5d [at] gml__lib__uwm__edu> writes
>We are reviewing the way that we shelve our oversized materials

Here at SDSU library, a collection of approximately 1 million items, the
book stacks are arranged thusly: regular stacks sizes up to 29 cm; fo.
30-39 cm; folio (spelled out) 40+ cm.  Folio books may have only one
dimension that puts them in the folio instead of the fo such as it could
be very wide but not very high.  Since it would stick out of the
shelving range and be subject to being hit by passers by, it is
classified as a folio to protect it.

Sciences division is essentially the same with fo's 32-39 cm.  General
Ref. integrated the fo and folio books into the regular shelving but
recently has begun to separate them.  The regular stacks shelve books
upright, as usual. The fo's are also spine up on regular shelving _most_
of the time depending upon format.  For example, the music scores have
wire dividers or slotted shelving to help keep them in a sensible order.
Most are in pam binders to help keep them stiff enough for this type of
shelving.  As for the folio books, they are usually on special wider
shelves and are laying down.  Some may be on top of a cabinet instead of
shelves but we don't have a large number of them so it's not a problem.

The fo and folio books are at the beginning of the regular stacks for
that floor.  In other words, books that are LC call numbers A to H are
on one floor.  The fo books, also A to H, are shelved just before the
regular stacks begin.  The folio's are just before the fo's., again A to
H.

I do not know about the children's collection, in Dewey, is handled.
There may not be any fo or folio's.  I know that the Reserve Book Room
intershelves the fo's with the regular stacks books.

Hope this is what you wanted,

Claudia Stall, Head
Collection Preservation/Mendery
San Diego State University Library