Subject: Deacidification of newspapers

Deacidification of newspapers

From: James Edstrom <edstrom>
Date: Saturday, July 16, 1994
I was talking with a colleague about deacidifying newspaper articles.
She said that she had read something about having to wait a period of
time after the newspaper was printed in order for the ink to have time
to set.  Since neither of us knows a great deal about deacidification, I
said I would consult the DistList.  Is this the case?  Is it just a
matter of testing the solubility of the ink?  What about the new
soy-based inks or colored inks?  Are there special considerations with
those?

Nancy Edstrom
Illinois State Historical Library

                  Distributed: Tuesday, July 19, 1994