Subject: Preservation of books

Preservation of books

From: Gary Menges <menges>
Date: Friday, June 17, 1994
This was forwarded to me with a request to forward to consdist.

    Date: 17 Jun 94
    From: Dahrl E. Moore <moore [at] fauvax__bitnet>

    We are a non-profit genealogy society library, housed in the lower
    floor of a public library within the flood level of West Palm Beach.
    We are staffed by a limited number of unpaid volunteers, have a
    library of over 11,000 volumes, several manuscript collections, lots
    of fiche and film and a surname file of over 30,000 cards. Our
    funding comes from our dues and gifts.  We are faced with the
    problem of trying to protect our library in the event of a hurricane
    (remember Andrew in 1992?).  Several hundred of our books are
    irreplaceable.  We need help and hope members of this list serve can
    come to our rescue.

    1.  It was suggested we consider a page scanner for our older books
        and place them on CD'S.  What type of scanner would be
        appropriate, approximate cost and what capacity computer would
        we need for such an exercise.

    2.  Does anyone know of any foundations that give grants for
        preservation of materials for non-profit organizations that
        would include purchase of necessary equipment and the hiring of
        a person or persons to do the work.

    3.  What problems can we expect with such an undertaking.  Are
        there other solutions that we should consider.  Are there any
        other suggestions or comments.

    Dahrl E. Moore, President of the Society.
    moore [at] acc__fau__edu

    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not
    on the DistList and will not see any responses that are posted here.
    Please respond directly to sender.

Gary L.Menges, Head
Special Collections & Preservation
Allen Library, FM-25