Subject: Books soaked in gasoline

Books soaked in gasoline

From: Agnes Quigg <aggie>
Date: Thursday, June 16, 1994
Last week a patron returned a box of books that had been  saturated with
gasoline when a gas can overturned in the back of his truck.  The books
are dry, the gas itself has evaporated.  However, the books have a very
strong gasoline smell.  Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
Is there something we should do other than air the volumes out until the
smell abates?  The volumes are all from our General Collection so they
could be disbound and recopied etc. if necessary.  Any advice would be
appreciated.  Thanks,

Agnes Quigg
Preservation Officer
Univ. of Hawaii Library