Subject: Joint CMDS/PLMS Discussion Group

Joint CMDS/PLMS Discussion Group

From: Marty Hanson <mjhanson>
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 1994
ALA/ALCTS Preservation of Library Materials Section (PLMS)
Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

ALA Annual Meeting Announcement of the Joint CMDS/PLMS Discussion Group
Sunday, June 26, 1994,  9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Seacoast Regency Room,  Seacoast Towers Hotel

Selection For Preservation: trends, issues and directions

Plan to attend and participate in an in-depth discussion of the methods
and status of selection for preservation.  A panel of speakers will
stimulate discussion through brief presentations addressing the
following issues:

    *   What are the engines driving choices about what is preserved?

    *   How are we conducting selection for preservation?

    *   What are the major models?

    *   How is the selection coordinated across libraries and within
        disciplines?

    *   Who is deciding what will be preserved and how is this effort
        organized?

    *   What role do bibliographers play in the process?  Scholars and
        scientists?

    *   What are the major issues and challenges in determining what to
        preserve for the future?

    *   What is the role of small and medium sized libraries in national
        preservation efforts?

Introductory Speakers:

    John Dean, Director of Preservation and Conservation, Cornell
        University
    Barbara Paulson, Program Officer, National Endowment for the
        Humanities
    Mark Sandler, Principal Bibliographer, University of Michigan
    Bill Schenck, Collections Program Officer, Collections Policy
        Office, Library of Congress

For further information, contact co-chairs:

    Sam Demas
    Head of Collection Development and Preservation
    Mann Library
    Cornell University
    607-255-6919
    sgd1 [at] cornell__edu

    Marty Hanson
    Preservation Administrator
    Syracuse University
    315-443-1947
    libmjh [at] suvm__bitnet

CMDS/PLMS Discussion Group: Statement Of Purpose: The CMDS/PLMS Joint
Discussion Group provides a forum for exploration and analysis of issues
of mutual interest to collection development and preservation
librarians.  The Discussion Group will examine the areas of intersection
between collection development and preservation, in both general
collections and special collections.  It will assess the current state
of collaboration between these two domains of professional practice, and
will identify opportunities for: 1. synergy and enhanced cooperation in
preservation activity, within and among libraries; 2. the advancement of
theoretical underpinnings of selection for preservation and national
planning; and 3. professional development programs.

Collection development and preservation concerns converge around
fundamental concerns, such as:

    *   how do we decide what to preserve?

    *   how do we set preservation priorities within and among
        disciplines?

    *   how do we coordinate preservation efforts among libraries?

    *   how do we know when we have completed the job in a subject area?

    *   how do we share the results of our efforts in the digital world?

    *   how can current selection and collection management contribute
        to prospective preservation?

This forum will consider broad issues such as selection for
preservation, preservation of science materials, national preservation
planning, the "whole discipline" approach, models for cooperative
preservation, and preserved materials in digital libraries.  It will
also deal with practical considerations such as strategies for involving
bibliographers in curatorial review, and the role of collection
development in preparation of preservation proposals.

                   Distributed: Monday, June 13, 1994