Subject: Public photocopiers and paper permanence

Public photocopiers and paper permanence

From: Normandy Helmer <nhelmer>
Date: Monday, June 6, 1994
We are considering stocking the public copiers in our Reserve Room with
unbleached recycled paper, but leaving better-quality paper in other
areas, such as Current Periodicals.  In the past faculty have complained
when lesser quality paper was provided, because their copies aged too
fast. However, we also have a very strong recycling program on this
campus, and people are always on the lookout for ways to use recycled
paper instead of "new."

I'd like to use this as an educational opportunity about paper
permanence, by putting up posters and labeling the machines to identify
paper content and let people make informed choices.  Has anyone done
this?  Please reply directly, and I'll summarize for the list.

Normandy Helmer
University of Oregon Library

                   Distributed: Monday, June 6, 1994