Subject: fastBack bindings

fastBack bindings

From: Richard Saunders <alirs>
Date: Friday, May 27, 1994
My library is thinking of using an in-house binding system for theses
and dissertations trade-named fastBack, from Binding Solutions of
Seattle.  It is essentially a hot-melt perfect bind, but the adhesive
seems to have good flexibility (though I have not seen aging tests). The
adhesive is trade-named "Rakoll K 3/809 N" and is made by the H.B. Fuller
Company.  According to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" I requested
there does not seem to be anything immediately amiss, and calcium
carbonate has been added to the adhesive apparently as an alkaline
buffer.  Does anyone have experience with this fastBack system or have
information--anecdotal or experimental--that might shed some light on
the quality and permanence of the materials used?

Richard Saunders
Montana State University

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 29, 1994