Subject: Condition survey software

Condition survey software

From: Nancy C. Schrock <nschrock>
Date: Friday, May 27, 1994
I will be bringing Surveyor, the condition survey methodology developed
by the Harvard University Preservation Office, to AIC. I hope to show it
in the software demonstration area on Wednesday or Thursday.

Surveyor is a specialized software package for the Macintosh, providing
a complete set of survey tools for general research collections.  It
consists of two modules: an extensively customized database and a random
number program to produce lists of survey samples.  Based on the random
sampling techniques first used at Yale and Stanford, Surveyor makes it
possible for libraries to collect and analyze extensive information
about the condition of their collections for use in preservation
planning, project planning, and fund raising.  It will be available for
purchase from the Harvard University Library Preservation Office in
September.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has worked with
sampling and surveying archival collections, either at AIC or via email.
Harvard is planning to develop a second survey module, adapting Surveyor
for archival collections later this summer.

Nancy Schrock
Conservator/Consultant
15 Cabot St.
Winchester, MA 01890