Subject: Body secretions in books

Body secretions in books

From: Alice Bear <abconser>
Date: Thursday, May 26, 1994
This can also be a problem in restoration of works of art.

I had several pieces in last year that had been slashed and covered with
human excrement...gross.  The accretion material was removed dry and I
had my staff use gloves, dust masks, goggles and clothing protection.

This also takes me back to a few years ago when I had to actually
conserve pieces (from a museum collection) that integrated various body
solids and fluids (inherent in the work).

Also, this is not unfamiliar territory for ethnographic
conservators...consolidating #%/!  so to speak.

Alice Bear
Conservation of Works of Art on Paper

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 29, 1994