Subject: Sound recording cleaning equipment

Sound recording cleaning equipment

From: David Sims <david.sims>
Date: Tuesday, May 24, 1994
Regarding record cleaning equipment, there is an alternative source for
record cleaning based on the Nitty Gritty technology.  KAB
Electro-Acoustics of Plainfield, New Jersey manufactures two units based
on parts purchased from Nitty Gritty in California.  Both units are
manually-operated, using an external vacuum source such as a household
vacuum cleaner.  This makes them quite compact.  The EV-1 cleans LPs,
78s, and 45s, while the EV-Pro will clean 16" broadcast transcriptions.
The EV-1 sells for $99.95 and the EV-Pro for $139.95.  These prices are
US dollars, and shipping is free for US orders.

Contact

    Kevin Barrett
    KAB Electro-Acoustics
    P.O. Box 2922
    Plainfield, NJ 07062-0922
    908-754-1479

Canadian distributor:

    David Sims
    HEAR THE DIFFERENCE Audio Enterprises
    #250 - 1857 West 4th Ave.
    West, Vancouver, British Columbia
    Canada  V6J 1M4
    604-691-0522

To my knowledge, the EV-Pro is a unique product, and is mostly likely to
be used by institutions and archives. If you have any more suggestions
on cleaning and storing records, please forward them to me.

    **** Moderator's comments:   The following was sent in a followup
    message

Following my message on record cleaning equipment, I realized that KAB
Electro-Acoustics first product might be of interest to institutions and
archives.

Kevin Barrett is an avid collector of 78 records and an electronic
engineer. His designed the "Souvenir" Vintage Record Processor and used
the product to launch his business, KAB Electro-Acoustics, which is
aimed at record collectors.

The "Souvenir" Vintage Record Processor restores the original sound of
monaural records made from 1900 to 1955.  It offers eight
electronically-switched equalization settings to optimize sound quality
and reduce noise.  A professional band-stop filter eliminates upper
treble noise and distortion.  A dynamic noise filter reduces background
noise.  An optional Impulse Noise Limiter suppresses ticks and limits
pops.  The unit requires a modern (RIAA) magnetic phono input and has a
one-year performance assurance.  A demonstration tape and copy of the
owner's manual are available for $5.00 (US) including postage.

SEMA, a non-profit organization devoted to preserving Turkish classical
recordings uses the "Souvenir".

David

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 25, 1994