Subject: Collections conservation

Collections conservation

From: Colin Pearson <pearson>
Date: Friday, May 20, 1994
In Australia there appears to be a move away from single item
conservation treatment towards the preservation management of
collections. This is very strong in libraries and archives, reasonably
strong in museums, whereas fine art conservators still insist that they
have to work on the single item.  As this trend will affect how we train
conservation students, and their job expectations, I wondered if the
same trend was happening elsewhere, especially in N America and Europe.
If so, how are the changes being accommodated in conservation training
programs?

Dr Colin Pearson, Director
National Centre for Cultural
Heritage Science Studies