Subject: Food and drink in the library

Food and drink in the library

From: Paula De Stefano <destefan>
Date: Thursday, May 19, 1994
In reviewing various sources of information regarding the persistent
problem of food in the library, I've noticed a recent trend to
relinquish efforts that prohibit eating and drinking in a number of
libraries.  For example, a recent contribution to "Letters," in College
and Research Libraries News, vol. 55, no.5, the writer claims to have
"dropped its 'no drink' policy and began allowing drinks in any kind of
covered container" about two years ago.  "In two years," he writes, "I
have yet to see a roach in our library," nor "has [he] detected any
major spills, wet books..." etc.

Like this writer, it seems many libraries perceive the problem, these
days, as a "customer service issue" and, evidently, in the absence of
insect infestations and damaged library materials, have concluded that
eating in the library is acceptable.

>From a practical point of view, I am interesting in knowing whether this
trend is, in fact, widespread; and, what consequences others have
experienced in dropping their "no eating and drinking" policies.

Paula De Stefano
Head, Preservation Dept.
New York University

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 22, 1994