Subject: Science and Technology Library Preservation Survey

Science and Technology Library Preservation Survey

From: Jill Newby <jnewby>
Date: Thursday, May 12, 1994
Help promote the preservation of science and technology materials. If
you work in a sci/tech library, or in a general library with significant
sci/tech holdings, please take a few minutes to fill out this brief
questionnaire.

We are gathering data on the status of preservation efforts for use in
planning a joint conference program sponsored by ACRL STS (Science and
Technology Section) and ALCTS PLMS (Preservation of Library Materials
Section) and CMDS (Collection Management and Development Section) to be
held at the ALA Annual meeting in Chicago, 1995.  The theme of the
program will be on organizing cooperative discipline based projects to
preserve the record of science and technology.

We hope to raise to national attention the need to preserve the records
of the disciplines of science and technology.  Your help is appreciated.

We realize that multiple responses from a single institution are
inevitable given our informal survey methodology.  We plan to compile
results so that multiple responses will be taken into consideration.

                                  ***

    1.  Please describe your institution's current or planned
    preservation project(s) of science and technology materials.

    2.  Please rank what is most important to preserve
      (1 most important - 8 least important)

    ____Local documents
    ____Journals
    ____Conference proceedings
    ____Reports
    ____Theses
    ____Books
    ____Non-print materials - please list types
    ____Other (Please describe)

    Please describe the rationale for your rankings (ie., institutional
    priorities, lack of preservation in this area, etc.)

    3.  Are there any sci-tech fields that should receive immediate
    preservation attention?

    4.  Please list any science and technology preservation projects
    that you are aware of being conducted outside your institution.

    5.  Are you or your institution interested in participating in a
    cooperative preservation initiative?  Is so, please be sure to
    include your name and address with the return of this survey.

    6.  Are you interested in presenting a poster session at the
    conference program on your library's preservation project?

    Name:
    Library:
    Address:
    Email:
    Phone:
    Fax:

Thank you for your interest and time in completing the survey.
Jill Newby and Amy Paster, Co-chairs, STS Chicago Conference Program
Planning Committee. We apologize for the cross-posting to several lists.

Please respond to

    Jill Newby
    Weber State University
    jnewby [at] library__weber__edu