Subject: Body secretions in books

Body secretions in books

From: Julie Price <jprice>
Date: Monday, May 16, 1994
Occasionally I am given books in which there is semen. Handling with
rubber gloves has been suggested but is there any real health danger or
is it merely a general repugnance to the stuff? What are the policies in
other libraries?  Policies on the whole gamut of body secretions which
are unfortunately found from time to time in contact with books? This is
a genuine health concern for a number of conservation staff needless to
say.

Your suggestions to both queries are appreciated. Please feel free to
respond to me direct and I will summarize for the List.

Julie Price
Conservation Unit
Fisher Library FO3
University of Sydney 2006