Subject: Anecdote

Anecdote

From: Michele Wellck <anmw1>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 1994
I thought y'all might get a chuckle out of this one.  It is forwarded
*with* permission, believe it or not.  Apologies to those who already
saw the exlibris posting.

    Date: 3 May 94
    Sender: Rare Books and Special Collections Forum <EXLIBRIS [at] RUTVM1__BITNET>
    From: Jim Corsaro <jcorsaro [at] unix2__nysed__gov>

    This past week the New York State Library participated in the annual
    Bring your Daughter to Work Day. As part of the activities, a group
    of youngsters visited our Conservation Lab where they were treated
    to a detailed show and tell about how books are repaired and
    preserved. After the presentation our conservation staffer asked for
    questions from the kids. One little girl raised her hand and asked
    why we spend all that time fixing these old books? Why not buy some
    new ones?

    Jim Corsaro
    Associate Librarian
    Manuscripts and Special Collections