Subject: UV sterilization

UV sterilization

From: Frank D. Preusser <fdp>
Date: Thursday, April 28, 1994
Bullock Alison <asb [at] nlo__nlc-bnc__ca> writes

>Does anyone have any strong feelings about the use of UV sterilization
>to "sanitize" books?

The main question for me is why do you want to sterilize books.  If you
don't keep them in a sterile atmosphere after treatment, they will soon
be full of spores and bacteria again.  I consider most of the
sterilization treatments a pure waste on resources.  Environmental
control is the only answer to a microbiological or fungal problem.

Frank D. Preusser
Frank Preusser & Associates, Inc.

                    Distributed: Monday, May 2, 1994