Subject: Book press

Book press

From: Brian J. Baird <bjbaird>
Date: Thursday, April 28, 1994
Christine Reynolds asked about sources for large, heavy-duty book
presses that cost under $1000.00.  There are lots of sources but if you
contact Alan Dietch at 696 Gull Ave., Foster City, CA 94404 (415)
349-1681 he can send you information about large wooden or metal
presses.  Here at Princeton we just bought four metal Printwell book
presses from Alan.  Printwell has a press with a 10" x 15" platen with a
12" opening for about $600.00 or a press with a 15" x 20" platen and 18"
opening for about $900.00.

If you decide to go with the wooden presses I would suggest caution.
The older wooden presses I have used have been very nice, but we
recently bought some new ones that were very poor quality.  I do not
know if there is more than one manufacturer of these wooden
presses--they all seem to look a like, but make sure that you get one
that is not going to be a disappointment to you or your staff.

I hope this helps,

Brian J. Baird
Assistant Preservation Librarian
and General Collections Conservator