Subject: Handling books during cataloguing

Handling books during cataloguing

From: Shannon O'Connor <shannono>
Date: Wednesday, April 27, 1994
Responding to Jean Bailey's question and Loerna Simpson's reply
concerning good ways to hold a book open while cataloging: Several years
ago our Head of Tech Services made each of us what she called a
"bookworm."  It is very similar to the gizmo described by Loerna
Simpson; however, she made them herself on her sewing machine. Basically
they are corduroy tubes about 11 x 3 inches, with bird shot inside them,
enough for weight but flexibility of the worm.  She sewed on button eyes
and a red tongue at one end, and a piece of lace at the other (saying
they were girl worms).  Mine has given me excellent service; it could
use a washing perhaps but I'm not sure how that would affect the shot.

Shannon O'Connor
Cataloging Assistant
Garbrecht Law Library
University of Maine School of Law