Subject: Handling books during cataloguing

Handling books during cataloguing

From: Normandy Helmer <nhelmer>
Date: Tuesday, April 26, 1994
Our library uses "book snakes" to hold books open, at terminals and
elsewhere.  We have them custom made by somebody's mom, who charges
about $3.00 apiece.  They are made from fabric tubes, about a foot long
and about an inch in diameter, and are filled with shot.  You can lay
them in the gutter or across the pages.  They're cheap, they work well,
and everybody gets to pick a fabric they like.

The Vermont Country Store does have a nifty catalog. I got a pair of
elasticized sleeve bands (they look rather like metal watch bands) for
three or four dollars, and they do a great job of keeping my sleeves
pushed back and out of the adhesive.

Normandy Helmer
Preservation & Binding Dept.
University of Oregon Library