Subject: Handling books during cataloguing

Handling books during cataloguing

From: Alicia Cosgrove <ali00akc>
Date: Tuesday, April 26, 1994
Re:  Jean Bailey's request for a device to hold a book open during the
cataloging process

I recently visited a college library where I saw a number of what looked
to be small, stuffed toys sitting around every workstation in the
processing areas. Some were in the shape of gingerbread men, others
simply a small rectangle, slightly longer than my hand. They turned out
to be beanbags made by the staff for the purpose of holding books open.
The librarian was amazed when I asked what they were; she apparently
learned about them in library school.  Although the leather weights from
the Vermont Country Store sound wonderful, perhaps a less expensive
option would be to make beanbags.  Someone with a sewing machine could
whip up at least a dozen simple bags in an hour, and fill them with
either dried beans or fishtank gravel.

Alicia Cosgrove
Materials Processor
J. Murrey Atkins Library