Subject: Handling books during cataloguing

Handling books during cataloguing

From: Loerna Simpson <simpsonl>
Date: Thursday, April 21, 1994
(7:76; April 21), I have used with success a weighted leather "book page
opener".  It is long, narrow and flat; shaped like a bar bell, about 10
inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide in the middle, and 3 inches wide at each
end, with each end being circular.  The two layers of leather are
stitched together.  Lead shot or something is enclosed at each circular
end, enough to make it slightly weighted.  It is easily picked up and
moved, but is heavy enough  to hold open the book where you place it.
It is available from

    The Vermont Country Store
    P.O. Box 3000,
    Manchester Center, VT 05255-3000.
    802-362-2400
    Fax: 802-362-0285

Specifically request their leather book page holder. I am not certain of
the price (around $15.00 I believe).  (This is not a museum/library
store, just general merchandise.  However, they have the most unusual
products still available; most are items from the past that you thought
were no longer sold--but are here!  Their catalog is worth looking at!)

LoErna Simpson
Textiles prof, Bassist College
Portland, Oregon

                  Distributed: Monday, April 25, 1994