Subject: Conservation of anatomical charts

Conservation of anatomical charts

From: Nancy Skeen <nancy_skeen>
Date: Thursday, April 21, 1994
A professor in our biology department has 10-15 anatomical charts
published around 1900 which he wants to display around his labs. These
charts are color lithographs produced in Europe (Holland, Belgium and
France) and distributed in the U.S. by such companies as A. J. Nystrom
and Denoyer-Geppert, both in Chicago.  While one is dated 1918, our
Special Collections librarian thinks some may have been printed before
1900.  The charts have been stored many years, tightly rolled around
their wood dowels, and some resisted the professor's attempts to unroll
them.  There are very few tears on the charts I saw, although the paper
is acidic--there is breakage in the paper along the top dowel where it
was rolled and one of these edges broke off at 2 folds.

I have told the professor it is possible to stabilize the paper and its
linen backing and/or we can encapsulate the lithos in Mylar with a
neutral liner.  But I am concerned about the possible value of the
charts, so I am seeking guidance about other possibilities for their
care and display.

Thank you,
Nancy Skeen

                  Distributed: Monday, April 25, 1994