Subject: Student Research Projects

Student Research Projects

From: Wendy Smith <smith>
Date: Friday, April 22, 1994
Students in their final year of the Bachelor's degree program in the
Conservation of Cultural Materials at the University of Canberra
undertake a minor thesis research project. Students majoring in Paper
Conservation this year have chosen the following topics:

1.  Light stability of water soluble coloured pencils

2.  Self adhesive photograph albums--analysis of materials, potential
    problems

3.  Comparison of Chinese and Japanese brushes and techniques in paper
    conservation

4.  Use of fixatives for pastel and charcoal drawings--history and
    current commercial products

5.  The use of detergents in paper conservation.

We have access to most of the standard paper conservation literature and
to the Conservation Information Network, so a comprehensive literature
search is the first step in their projects.

However, they are very interested to hear if anyone is already
undertaking research in any of those fields, or if anyone has any other
comment they would like to make about the topics chosen.

Please reply to me and I will pass your messages on

                  Distributed: Monday, April 25, 1994