Subject: Preserving scent

Preserving scent

From: Peter David Verheyen <pdv1>
Date: Monday, April 18, 1994
I would like to reply to the question of preserving scents. I doubt that
shrink wrapping or encapsulation will do much good. Mylar, and I assume
that shrink wrap film is a form of mylar breath.

Case in point. Some years ago I went and saw Polyester by John Waters
which came with a "scratch and sniff" card. It was wretched, as it was
supposed to be. Anyway, I encapsulated it in 5 mil mylar, and with in a
few hours, the bag I was carrying my prize home in smelled like cheap
perfume and dirty socks.

That was short term. As to long term, I would assume that it would
continue to outgas until there was nothing left to smell.

Peter D. Verheyen
Rare Book Conservator
B-39 Olin Library
Cornell University