Subject: Papyrus

Papyrus

From: Cheri Vitez <vitez>
Date: Saturday, April 16, 1994
I am an intern at the World Heritage Museum at the University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where we have a collection of thirty papyri
fragments. The Oxyrhynchus Papyri were conserved using the "passe
partout" technique which was popular in the 1940's.  I realize that
previous generations considered this to be the very latest in
technology, but is it still valid today?  I am researching what is the
best method available today to conserve and properly store papyri.  How
does one handle a scholar's request to look at the back of papyri?  Is
the passe partout method considered damaging today because the papyri
cannot breathe?  I would appreciate journal citations, research reports,
relevant institutions and conservators to contact, as well as, any
comments or discussion regarding this query.

Cheri A. Vitez
World Heritage Museum Intern

                  Distributed: Monday, April 18, 1994