Subject: Dow Aegis Antimicrobial, "The Mold Solution"

Dow Aegis Antimicrobial, "The Mold Solution"

From: Karen Motylewski <nedcc>
Date: Friday, April 1, 1994
South Carolina State Archives has inquired about the advisability of
using a service called "The Mold Solution," which as far as I can tell
offers to fix mold (in lieu of climate control), guaranteed, for 3 years
using (per their MSDS) organosilane polymer -- 18% (3-chloropropyl)
trimethoxysilane plus 84% octadecylaminomethytrimethoxys
Ammonium Chloride.  The vendor offers to "treat the HVAC system, walls,
shelving, and documents or books, or any other surface where mold may
exist and grow."  !!!!  The stuff, which is a fog or spray (undescribed)
apparently seals microbial forms under a non-removable coating.

Now, I know it's a bad idea logically, but does anyone on the list know
why it's a bad idea chemically?  Has this been around long enough to
have any experience in its aging properties?  Does experience with
masonry sealants offer any model?  Does it actually kill mold spores,
other than by suffocation or encapsulation?  Has it ever been used in a
collection? The typical application is apparently homes and hospital
materials.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Karen Motylewski
Northeast Document Conservation Center