Subject: Electrostatic painting

Electrostatic painting

From: Mary Ann S. Tyrrell <20676mat>
Date: Friday, March 25, 1994
Last autumn, the Michigan State University Libraries consolidated three
periodical locations into one and moved the Microforms collection to be
part of this new "Periodical Reading Room/Microforms Library" within the
Main Library.

This new area is on the main/first floor of the library and there has
been some concern over the appearance of the microform cabinets.  They
were purchased at various times, as needed, and are a motley and
varicolored lot.  The library administration would like to have all the
cabinets painted in an effort to make the area look more attractive.

Has anyone had experience with this?  Will electrostatic painting damage
microfiche?  The question encompasses not only the paint, but also the
"charging" of the cabinets.   Should we remove the fiche?  Does the type
of fiche matter?  Are there other environmental hazards we should be
aware of?

Mary Ann Tyrrell
Preservation Librarian
Michigan State University