Subject: Leather bloom

Leather bloom

From: Jessica Johnson <tqaa345>
Date: Wednesday, March 23, 1994
To comment on the request for information regarding spue in 18th to 20th
century bindings:

In objects conservation as I was taught in England (and this may be more
a vocabulary difference) a white deposit found on the surface of leather
is called "spue".  It is generally suspected to be a dressing that has
oozed out of the leather.  In general it has a waxy, white appearance,
and pretty much looks like it has seeped out of the pores of the
leather.  Right now we have a bunch of 19th and 20th century saddles in
the lab covered with spue.  However, I can't tell you anyone that has
analyzed this material, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. There
is a publication called "Leather Conservation News".  The editor is

    Paul Storch
    Minnesota History Center
    345 Kellog Blvd.
    West, St. Paul, MN 55102-1906
    612-296-9961.

This newsletter could have some information of interest.

Jessie Johnson
Materials Conservation Lab
Texas Memorial Museum
BRC #122, 10100 Burnet Road