Subject: Insects and books

Insects and books

From: David A. Harmeyer <dharmey>
Date: Wednesday, March 16, 1994
A friend librarian at a small theological school in Manila, the
Philippines, recently wrote asking if I new of any articles regarding
insects eating covers of hard bound books.

She writes "I have discovered that our hard bound books especially the
old ones and not covered with plastic are the ones being attacked by
insects. Do you have any idea as to how I would prevent these insects
from damaging our hard bound books?  I thought of varnishing them."

I believe the library is in an air conditioned building.  But
reliability of consistent electricity is not a sure thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dave Harmeyer
International School of theology
San Bernardino, CA