Subject: Shrink wrapping

Shrink wrapping

From: Regina Sinclair <sinclair>
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 1994
I am summarizing responses to my query of 8 Nov 93 re: shrink wrapping
for the list because I have mislaid the contact information for everyone
who conveyed their interest in the results.  My thanks to everyone who
responded!

    **** Moderator's comments:   I'd like to remind everyone that
    summaries of responses to queries are very much appreciated and to
    encourage you to post them.

Endorsements of Other Institutions

*   Ohio State University has used shrink wrapping since summer 1993
    because it "...cannot afford to explore replacement/reformatting/
    withdrawal considerations just now."  Wrapping candidates are
    generated by the bookstacks operation to bar-code all volumes in the
    collections.

*   The National Library of Australia has shrink wrapped low- use,
    brittle or damaged material "...for a number of years."

*   The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has been
    shrink wrapping since the early 1980's as a method of "creating and
    maintaining clean stacks areas."  NARA has done extensive testing on
    the effects of shrink wrapping on items.  While the results of its
    investigation indicate the need for further tests, NARA continues to
    support the effectiveness of shrink wrapping.

*   The University of California-San Diego has been shrink wrapping
    items that will not fit into archival envelope and that physically
    can support themselves for five years.

*   Pennsylvania State University is in its second year of shrink
    wrapping brittle books in order to "stabilize" them when they are
    moved from one location to another.

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 9, 1994