Subject: Collection assessment

Collection assessment

From: Steve Krauth <krauth>
Date: Tuesday, March 1, 1994
I am looking for information about assessment of natural history
collections, specifically an insect collection.  I am the curator of the
University of Wisconsin insect research collection.  I would like to
write grant proposals for outside support, but the supporting
information most agencies look for is collection "value".  Do you know
of collection assessors (other than the IMS people) that could or would
evaluate a collection.

I think I am looking for a conservator that will do both a condition,
breadth and dollar value assessment.  I know of the dollar value debate
that has raged in some collection circles, but I also know that IMS for
one has a collection assessment program that pays for the
assessment/evaluation of a collection so the collection personnel can use
that information to appeal/approach NSF for collection support. Part of
my problem is the collection assessment proposal funds are first come
first served and the competition is furious.  I am looking for advise
from other collection types attempting to jump through the fund raising
hoops.

    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and will
    not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond directly
    to sender and post it here as well, as this may be of general
    interest. I have already told Mr. Krauth to the AIC Referral System

Steve Krauth

                  Distributed: Thursday, March 3, 1994