Subject: Cleaning and housing phonograph discs

Cleaning and housing phonograph discs

From: Michael Cogswell <mcsqc>
Date: Friday, February 25, 1994
I do not have a chemistry background...but I have supervised the
cleaning of tens of thousands of phonodiscs during the past ten years.
:-)

The solution recommended for use in the Keith Monks Record Cleaning
Machine (which is probably the best one on the market) is approximately
25% ethyl alcohol, 25% methyl alcohol, and 50% distilled water.  This
solution cleans the discs and does not leave any residue.  Many years
ago a graduate chemistry student analyzed the solution sold by the
Discwasher Company for home use (one use to be able to purchase
Discwasher brand supplies in good record shops) and reported to me that
it was 25% ethyl alcohol, 25% methyl alcohol, and 50% distilled water.
Of course, the Discwasher Company has always kept its solution a trade
secret.  What consumer would pay $18.00/pint if he or she knew how
simple the ingredients were?  :-)

Use the above solution ONLY on vinyl LPs!  78 r.p.m. discs are
shellac-based and the alcohol will ruin them.  Acetate discs require an
entirely different procedure.

I suspect that the above solution will disinfect discs just fine.

There are many sources for sleeves and jackets.  The *Billboard
International Buyer's Guide*, an annual publication, has a large
section devoted to suppliers of sleeves and jackets.  Here are just a
few choices--some near you--check the *Buyer's Guide* if you need more:

    Rocky Mountain Recording
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    317-638-8733

    The Pressing Plant
    Dallas, Texas
    214-748-6622

    Ross-Ellis
    New York, NY
    212-645-6110

Of course, if you want acid-free sleeves (which are much more expensive)
then you should go to other suppliers, including Gaylord, University
Products, and Audio 78.

Michael Cogswell
Louis Armstrong Archives
Queens College, CUNY