Subject: Cleaning and housing phonograph discs

Cleaning and housing phonograph discs

From: Gary Phillips <phillips>
Date: Friday, February 25, 1994
I can't make suggestions about cleaning, so will leave that to others.
However, I do recommend the use of the modern poly-lined paper sleeve
for storage. It keeps the discs cleaner and inhibits static. If the new
sleeves do not fit inside the old cardboard jackets, how about
preserving the jacket separately? Depending on your long-term
preservation goals, the jackets might require deacidification as well,
since they tend to be made of rather poor quality materials. I would
look for a way to store the disc and the jacket together, perhaps by
placing both inside a slightly larger polyester sleeve, with the disk
also enclosed in its own standard protective inner sleeve.

Another suggestion, if the materials are expected to see regular use:
make transfer copies of the disc onto cassette tape, and use the
cassette tape for actual listening purposes. This reduces wear on the
disc to almost nothing, since it only needs to be played once each time
the cassette tape wears out.

Gary Lee Phillips
Quality Control Engineer
NOTIS Systems Inc.