Subject: California disasters

California disasters

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Thursday, February 17, 1994
The following appeared on ExLibris and is reproduced here with
permission.

    Date: 16 Feb 94
    From: Barbara Paulson <nehpres [at] gwuvm__bitnet>

    Washington, Feb. 11--An emergency fund established last summer for
    flood-damaged Midwestern libraries, archives and museums will be
    broadened to include cultural institutions in California that have
    been damaged by earthquakes and other recent natural disasters, the
    National Endowment for the Humanities announced today.

    Agency Chairman Sheldon Hackney said, while no new emergency funds
    exist, the Endowment would accept applications from institutions in
    California concurrently with proposals from states in the Midwest
    that are still recovering from last summer's massive flooding.

    "We can rebuild the bridges and the buildings, but it would be
    nearly insurmountable to reclaim the knowledge we'd lose if these
    imperiled collection s are left unprotected," said Hackney. "These
    institutions contribute history's voice to our national
    conversation."

    Emergency proposals of up to $30,000 to help libraries, archives and
    museums preserve collections of books, archival materials,
    manuscripts, and objects of material culture will be accepted by the
    Endowment through July 31, 1994. Awards will be judged on the basis
    of the importance of the collections for use in research, education
    or public programs in the humanities.

    Applications should be addressed to the

        Chairman's Office
        National Endowment for the Humanities
        1100 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
        Washington DC, 20506.

    For more information institutions should contact the NEH Division
    of Preservation and Access at 202/606-8570.

                Distributed: Thursday, February 17, 1994