Subject: Accordioning music scores

Accordioning music scores

From: Lisa Philpott <philpott>
Date: Friday, February 11, 1994
We occasionally receive music which is supplied as printed leaves in a
paper cover, rather than bound in a signature format. Because of the
danger of losing a single page, in the past we have 'accordion-ed' the
leaves into a single (long) entity--using linen tape (with a perforation
down the centre...I've tested the glue on the tape, it's acidic), which
lessens the opportunity for loss--yet still leaves the work "playable"
(i.e., the 'pages' will still turn, and it will fit on a music stand for
performance).  [We then insert the part or score into a protective
cover, with pocket.]  Can anyone suggest a better alternative than the
gummed (i.e. you moisten it with water, then apply to the pages) linen
tape?  I'm anxious to do it right...because the most recently-received
example is on non-acidic paper (and a French edition...amazing!).

Thank-you in advance for any suggestions!

Lisa Philpott
Music Library
University of Western Ontario Library System
London, Ontario  N6A 3K7
(519) 661-3913  x:4846

                Distributed: Tuesday, February 15, 1994