Subject: Damaged microfilm set

Damaged microfilm set

From: Charlotte Payne <clpayne>
Date: Friday, January 28, 1994
I thought this might be of interest to the list. It was sent to me by
our Associate University Librarian for Collection Development.

    Date: 28 Jan 94
    To: Multiple recipients of list COLLDV-L
         <COLLDV-L%USCVM.BITNET [at] ARIZVM1__ccit__arizona__edu>
    From: John Haar <haarjm [at] ctrvax__vanderbilt__edu>
    Subject: no.330-DAMAGED MICROFILM SET

    At Vanderbilt we've discovered a problem with one of our microfilm
    sets and want to pass along the information so others who own the
    set can check on the condition of their copies.  Staff discovered
    that the set, The Timothy Pickering Papers (69 reels), was emitting
    a substance that had damaged both the cardboard reel containers and
    the metal cabinet in which they were stored.  We've temporarily
    placed the entire set in storage pending the resolution of an
    insurance claim.

    We purchased the set in the late 70s from the Massachusetts
    Historical Society, which owns the original papers.  The film is now
    distributed by UMI.  At UMI's request, we sent them one reel for
    analysis.  They identified hydrochloric acid fumes as the cause of
    the damage to the containers and cabinet.

    Our set may be the only defective copy, but others may want to check
    theirs.  I'd be interested to know if anyone finds their set to be
    defective.

    John Haar
    Vanderbilt University

Charlotte Payne