Subject: Disks accompanying books

Disks accompanying books

From: Bernadette G. Callery <bcallery>
Date: Tuesday, January 25, 1994
We're in the midst of resolving problems of access, cataloging and
conservation for the increasing number of books that have accompanying
floppy disks.  The contents of these disks range from a text file of the
contents of the work (suitable for searching via your favorite word
processor) to actual data substantiating the results summarized in the
printed work.

Do you leave the disk in the pocket in the book? (having made backups
which are kept where?)  Do you install the contents of the floppy on a
specified terminal or network directory and add a note to the catalog
record (For the taxonomic database accompanying this work, go to
terminal no. 25?) or do you charge out the disk on demand?  What about
long-term storage of these disks, either with the book or elsewhere?
What about copyright?

Your comments would be appreciated.  Please reply directly to me and I
will summarize for the list.

Bernadette G. Callery
New York Botanical Garden Library
Bronx, NY  10458