Subject: Carpet vs. tile

Carpet vs. tile

From: Lisa Roberts <lcroberts>
Date: Monday, January 24, 1994
The folks on ARCHIVES and EXLIBRIS have already endured this message,
but I decided to send it on to the DISTLIST anyway.  I figure you guys
will have a different take on it.

I am the Head of Special Collections and University Archivist at the
University of North Carolina at Asheville.  We are currently in the
process of renovating the old library facility here.  The renovated
building will include a new reading room and a combination stack
area/work area for special collections (including the archives).

My director would like to carpet the stack area/work area.  He argues
that carpet will be easier on the feet, legs and knees of the folks
working back there, and that it will look nicer.  I prefer tile, because
I think having a tile floor will reduce the accumulation of dust in the
stack area and make clean-ups easier in the work room.  He has vetoed
any carpet/tile combination.

Any comments, suggestions, arguments?  I should say that I have received
many helpful responses from archives and exlibris readers, and the votes
are weighing in heavily in favor of tile.  Thanks for whatever expertise
or common sense you can add to this discussion.

Lisa Roberts
Head, Special Collections
UNC-Asheville

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 25, 1994