Subject: Fire damaged paper

Fire damaged paper

From: Don Etherington <70304.3023>
Date: Tuesday, January 25, 1994
Regarding Jane Klinger's query in a recent DistList, "Has anyone out
there had experience treating fire damaged . . . papers?":

A few years ago after the fire at the Academy of Sciences Library in St.
Petersburg, I was asked to help in suggesting a method for strengthening
fragile and brittle fire-damaged material.

I used parylene for the samples and was very pleased with the results.

They couldn't use this method because there were problems at that time
with sophisticated electronic equipment (used for the process) being
allowed out of the USA.  If you need any further information, please
contact me at the address below.

Don Etherington
President, Conservation Division
Information Conservation, Inc.