Subject: Smoke

Smoke

From: Forrest Bailey <bm.n2l>
Date: Saturday, January 22, 1994
We have had several inquiries as to the composition of candle
(especially votive candle) and cigarette smoke and its effect on
works of art.  The visual discoloration of these types of
smoke are obvious, but what are the chemical interactions?
I would appreciate any references on this complex question.

Forrest Bailey
Chief Conservator
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

                Distributed: Saturday, January 22, 1994