Subject: Disaster plans

Disaster plans

From: Jim Croft <jrc>
Date: Tuesday, January 18, 1994
Following my previous message to the list asking if there were any
institutional disaster/emergency preparedness plans available
electronically, I did what I should have done in the first place -
queried the CoOL conservation database.  There were c. half a dozen
there that were immediately obvious, plus several other useful files.
These included words of wisdom from Stanford Libraries, UC Davis,
University of Northern Florida, California State Archives, University
Texas-Arlington, and a useful primer from the national institutions of
the Smithsonian, Library of Congress, National Archives and the US
National Parks Service.

    **** Moderator's comments:  When Conservation OnLine started up I
    asked that everyone send me their disaster documents to be
    mounted in CoOL. The response was very disappointing. There are a
    few disaster plans and related matter in CoOL, but once again
    I ask  that people submit their disaster plans. Send them either as
    ascii files via email or on disk in your favourite word processor
    format to

        Walter Henry
        Conservation Lab
        Stanford University Libraries
        Stanford, CA 94305

I have cobbled together a html home page for this type of information
(URL = http://155.187.10.12:80/disaster/disaster.html) plus a few other
files and a couple of useful disaster gophers (the Disaster Management
gopher run by the Victorian Institute of Forensic Pathology (URL =
gopher.vifp.monash.edu.au:70/11) has some really good articles on all
aspects of disasters for those who are interested).

Some of the files, such as the primers on disaster preparedness, an
outline of a disaster plan and a few others have been marked up in html
to appear more attractive on World Wide Web clients such as NCSA's
Mosaic, the remainder have been left as plain text.  If I have missed
any, or if people have other disaster/emergency plans they would like to
have included, just email me the text and they will be on the server
within the day.

This directory of files will be exported to be included on our gopher
server sometime next week for those who are not running WWW clients (and
if you are not you should be...).

(BTW, while gathering info for this little service, I was extremely
impressed with the quality, quantity and timeliness of information
coming out of the Californian disaster information telnet service.  Did
not see any reference to damaged museums, libraries or archives.  Does
anyone know if any were hit?)

cheers

jim

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 18, 1994