Subject: Disaster plans

Disaster plans

From: Jim Croft <jrc>
Date: Thursday, January 13, 1994
Alan Howell wrote:

> The State Library has received several telephone calls from the public
> asking for information on how to reduce--or remove--the smoke odour from
> their books and other paper items.
>
> Our Counter Disaster Manual (Sydney: State Library of NSW,
> 1992, p.87) gives us some ideas:

I am interested in your Counter Disaster Manual.  Is it available
electronically.  Situated in dry bushland we are very concerned about
fire and have taken quite elaborate precautions to protect our living
and preserved herbarium collections.  Our Fire manual has just been
placed on our World Wide Web Server and is available on the internet
(URL = http://155.187.10.12:80) - a gopher version will be made
available this weekend (gopher://155.187.10.12:70).

Our manual only deals with preventing the disaster and what to do while
it is happening.  We only have scattered notes on what to do with the
damaged specimens after the event and would like to expand this part of
our management plan.  (Incidentally, the entire Gardens Plan of
Management, describing all aspects of our operations for the next five
years has recently been made available on the same server.)

Does anyone have Counter Disaster Manuals or Disaster Recovery Manuals
available electronically on the Network, preferably on WWW or gopher
(but FTP would do)?  If so we would like to see there are parts that are
relevant to the prevention of disasters to our collection and the
recovery of fire or water damage to herbarium specimens (which are a lot
like books in that they are mounted on paper and stacked on shelves.

Jim Croft
Herbarium CBG
Australian National Botanic Gardens
GPO Box 1777, Canberra, ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA
+61-6-2509 490
fax:  +61-6-2509 599
URL=http://155.187.10.12:80/people/croft.jim.html
Biodiversity Directorate